Friday, August 28, 2009

Sunset

Yesterday evening I drove to Salt Lake to pick Heather up from the airport. It was late in the evening and the sun was just setting. It was simply beautiful. I can't describe to you how amazing the red and organge and yellow colors were behind the dark outline of the mountain. I love sunset. It is probably my favorite time of the day (especially during the late summer and early fall). The temperature starts to cool down. The busyness of the day begins to slow. And it is such a perfect time to sit and talk or to ponder. That was last night. I was driving by myself and I just pondered on life. In growing up, I've been thinking, life isn't easy. And yet even in the hard moments, the sad things, the trials, it can be beautiful. So I got to thinking about how grateful I am for the things Heavenly Father has given me to help me through my trials. I am so blessed by the chance to be alive right now. To have been born to my parents. To be a student at BYU. To have friends. To have small and yet so important things like a car and music. Most of all to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and to have a testimony that I am a daughter of God, that I have a Savior who died for ME. While I was driving and looking at the sunset I really thought a lot about just being me. I got the chance this summer to spend a lot of time with myself. And it wasn't always easy. But I think I'm learning (notice the present tense) to love myself. For who I am, for who I'm not, for who I can become. And it makes me happy. Anyways, I love sunset.


(One more quick thought - I LOVE my roommates. I was SO happy to have Lyss and Heather home last night. Heather and I laughed and talked in the car forever and Lyss and I already ended up staying up late talking. It is so good to be back together. Now we just need Eva on Saturday and it will be time for new fall adventures!)

No comments:

Post a Comment