Sunday, August 31, 2008

ready or not...

I cannot believe how fast Spring and Summer flew by. It seems like just yesterday that I was saying Goodbye to Sarah and Eva and moving across Wyview to Building 4 and trying to fathom how I was going to survive 4 months of full time work. Instead they flew by faster than almost any other 4 months before and here I am at the end of summer a different person, full of memories, very happy and trying to grasp what will be coming.

We are moved into our new apartment. I really like it. We are south of campus this year at Liberty Square. I am in Jamestown #33. It is on the third floor and faces east so we have a big tree out of our window and the mountain to look at. It is very beautiful. I am rooming with Heather Jean. And Eva and Alyssa have the other bedroom. There is so much storage. We even an empty cupboard in the kitchen! We have two bathrooms which will make getting ready pretty easy. In general I love it. Although it is going to be a little bit different making the adjustment switching from living with just one person (and that one person being Rachel Jane) summer term back to living with multiple people (with them being Eva and Heather and Lyssa) and to sharing a room. It will be wonderful but it will be different.  (Pictures coming... I left my camera in Idaho!) 

We went to our new ward today. I am really excited. It doesn’t seem huge and it looks balanced between brothers and sisters. Our bishop sounds like he will be wonderful and they called a second counselor today who has only been married for 2 years and will graduate in April (yeah – really young, but so nice!). It was really great to be with upperclassmen. Even just introductions weren’t so awkward and the testimonies were so simple and sweet. I am going to try so hard to remember people’s names but I struggle sometimes. I know I met Jessica and Heidi today – who are cougarettes. I also met Scott who sat by me in Sunday School and I talked for a while with John, Brandon and Derek while we were waiting for the room. They were super fun. I think this year is going to be just that – fun. Although, our bishop did say that every semester 15-20 ward members get married off – so yeah. :D

Even though things are different and stuff is changing I am really excited for Tuesday. First of all for the classes that I get to take this semester. I am taking Pearl of Great Price from Sister Burgon (who I had New Testament from Winter Semester) and I am so excited because I loved her so much. I am also taking History 201 and Political Science 170. Those were originally because I was a History Teaching Major/ Political Science Teaching Minor but now I am just using them to fill my GE requirements. I am taking Health 320 which is Advanced First Aid and Safety and I am so excited about it! I have really felt a need to get certified in CPR and such and this class will give me exactly that. Finally I am taking SFL 210 which is Human Development and will be the first class for my major.

I have decided to do Human Development with a minor in Nutrition. My intent is that if I don’t get married and get the opportunity I will go to graduate school and get a degree in Counseling or Therapy and work toward a career doing that. If I do get married or something like that then I will still have a completed degree but I feel like I need to plan my life for me right now and then be ready for changes like marriage rather than planning for unknowns that I have no control over.


One more story from this weekend that I just have to share...
Without a doubt I know that our Father in Heaven knows us and that he hears and answers our prayers.  This past week and a half I have been really sick... I caught strep throat while I was at home and then got a cold on top of it.  I don't handle being sick very well... especially since my gallbladder... and I have had a really hard time with all of this.  Sunday I needed to drive back to Provo but I was so sick and miserable that there was no chance of me doing it safely so Megan drove me instead.  She stayed with me Monday and Tuesday at my friend Lauren's ( who is an angel... seriously.) and was the greatest blessing that I could have asked for.  Megan was so sweet when I was scared and sick and acted much more like a big sister than a little one.  Then later in the week Rachel and Sarah spent a lot of time helping me... moving, shopping, etc..., they even set up my room and made my bed for me.  Again, just great blessings.  But I was still sick and climbing the stairs bringing things up to our apartment just wiped me out.  It was taking me a long time unpacking and I hadn't even emptied my storage unit and the other girls wanted to be in.  Mom and Megan were coming on Saturday so I decided to at least wait for their help because I was so stressed.  The problem was just that my storage unit was on the third floor up a ladder and was full of heavy boxes and then those heavy boxes had to come up the four flights of stairs. And I was stressed about getting them in and done and getting my room cleaned up before Heather moved in and.... etc.... I was spazing out in general.  So I was praying like crazy.  (And honestly... because I have so many wonderful people who love me I probably had prayers coming from them too.)  I just asked for support and strength and for a way to get the things that I needed accomplished.  So Saturday morning came and Mom and Megan were going to come and help me but Mom made me come to the hotel.  I came in and jumped on Megan who was asleep.  She gave me a huge hug and then all of the sudden covered my eyes and told me to walk.  She led me into the middle of the room until I ran into a person.  She opened my eyes and I was in my Daddy's arms.  (My Dad had been in Dallas for a work training this weekend which is why he couldn't come down with them but his returning plane to Boise had a transfer in Salt Lake on Friday night.  For some reason the flight had to be cancelled and it was the last on leaving on Friday.  The airlines gave them all tickets for flights on Saturday and so his flight didn't have to leave until 7:30 Saturday night.  That meant my Mom could pick him up on her way to Provo, he could stay with them, help me and then fly home.) I broke down crying and just hugged Daddy.  This was nothing short of a miracle and was more than the answer to prayers that I had had faith for.  My move went smooth.  With all of my family surrounding me, I could smile and get the things done that I needed to without the stress or the exhaustion I had been expecting.  I know that our Heavenly Father loves us and knows us and WILL answer our prayers.  


Off I go to finish up some other things... because ready or not, fall is here!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Rachel! Your story at the end makes me so happy! I wish I had known how spazzy you were and that I had helped you! Please please call me anytime you need help. It may take me a while to walk there, but I would do anything for you day or night :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It is so good to have you back here... I am so happy for you, worried about you, exhausted for you, and crying happy tears about your family being with you when you really needed them. What a blessing!

    It will be an awesome year for you! Keep the Faith!

    BIG Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rach... I need your email address, can you send it over to me :)

    ReplyDelete