Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Bank Error
Do you see the Monopoly man's face on the card?
That was EXACTLY how I looked like this afternoon.
You can even ask Gianna. She was with me when all of this happened.
Here's what happened.
I went to check my bank account this afternoon during my class break and discovered that a $1000 deposit had been made into my account. Upon further investigation I found that the money came from UNLV. I'd already received my tuition refunds and I hadn't set up direct deposit with payroll so this couldn't be from work. I honestly had no idea what the money could be. When I looked in my Financial Center through UNLV's website all it said was Scholarship. But I hadn't applied for any scholarships.
Anticipating an error [UNLV recently charged most of my cohort an extra $1500 in tuition by mistake] I called the financial aid & scholarships office. I didn't want to spend $1000 just to find out that I actually needed to return it to UNLV.
I explained to the woman in Financial Aid that I recently had $1000 unexpectedly deposited in my account. She immediately asked if I was a graduate student and when I replied yes, she explained that the Graduate College had ended up with some extra funds and so had created a scholarship to distribute the funds to certain students. Now, I have no idea why I would qualify. Yes, I am a poor college student. Yes, I got a 4.0 last semester. Yes, I am a GA. But I am sure that there are plenty of people who meet those qualifications. I intend to call the Grad College tomorrow and find out exactly what went down. But in the meantime I asked her to confirm that this was no mistake and she reassured me that she had spoken to multiple people today to explain the situation and that the money was indeed mine.
$1000. Magically in my bank account.
Tell me you wouldn't have made the bank error in your favor face too.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to use it to pay off some of the student loans I have out. Or maybe pay off part of my house. Richard [my roommate Kate's fiance] thinks I should buy a new MacBook, which is terribly terribly tempting.
No matter how it ends up getting used I couldn't be more grateful. I can't think of anything nicer than having unexpected money in your life. Particularly of the variety that has multiple zeros at the end.
Other awesome things about today: I started working with a personal trainer. I'm serious this time. I'm going to finish. And I'm going to do it now. My word for the year was accountability and this is one of the ways that I am choosing to be accountable. Also, I got to do another observation in the clinic. I'm feeling so much less anxious and so much more excited about seeing clients in May. Also, before we did our observation Gianna and I went to dinner. I think she is such a stellar girl. I love my cohort. They are teaching me so much about life and better ways to think and to be plus are so encouraging and awesome when it comes to school and preparing for the future. It was crazy windy today. Like even for an Idaho girl who grew up listening to the wind roar. And I loved it. It made the evening chilly but it was fun. Less awesome but hilarious: I got terrified by a tiny dog on my way into my house tonight. It came out from under the porch in front of me and I jumped out of my skin. And raspberry sorbet. Oh my goodness yum. And in general news: Mitt Romney won Idaho's caucuses [and some other states]. Mom voted. She said it was fun.
Labels:
Happy Thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That is what you get for paying tithing :)
ReplyDeleteI really really love this story! It made me so so happy for you :)
ReplyDeleteLove it! What an awesome day!
ReplyDelete