Sunday, March 4, 2012

Things of Note

Lately I haven't been able to find the right words to say what I've wanted to say and so I just haven't really said anything. Which has meant no blog posts for you. I'm terribly sorry. I've been writing daily about the events in my life but it's been different that trying to come up with a cohesive blog post. So tonight I'm not going to try. Tonight you get things of note as of late. And then hopefully soon I will share some of the more significant and coherent things I've been attempting to write. 

I am in LOVE with Las Vegas winter. I do not think I will stay here permanently. Las Vegas is just too much for me overall. And honest to goodness, I miss the true season changes. I miss snow. [I know. I, Rachel just admitted to missing Snow.] But since I am here now, I am just soaking up the wonderfulness that is Las Vegas in February. It's AWESOME to not have to deal with weather problems while I'm commuting to school. This is a screenshot from my phone last week. 75 in February? I don't mind that at all. 

I am currently completely obsessed with this song by Leighton Meester. 


Other current music obsessions: He is We, Kelly Clarkson, Sara Bareilles, Rodney Atkins, Luke Bryan, Natasha Bedingfield, Darius Rucker, the Newsies soundtrack, Katy Perry and Selena Gomez. My whole ward now knows about my country music addiction. It's fine. It's me. 

I accepted a new calling to teach Relief Society (the women's organization) in my ward. I'd been doing it a lot anyway so we just made it official. I'm thrilled. I LOVE the chance to teach and how much I learn while I'm preparing. Plus, it gives me an excuse to bake and/or craft. Favorite. 

I am convinced that one of the saddest sights in the whole world is an empty mailbox. On the opposite note though, I am sure that there is nothing better in the whole world than getting a letter or package from someone who loves you. I literally started bawling at my mailbox the other day because there was a package from my mom inside. It had been a TERRIBLE day and I was feeling awful and I said a little prayer asking that maybe the mailbox wouldn't be empty. When I got there I found a package from home covered in hearts and I truly started crying my eyes out at the mailbox. 

I am totally and completely in love with my job. IN LOVE. I leave every single day and tell my mom, my roommate, my classmates that I think my job is AMAZING. I love the people that I work with. I love the things I am learning. I love the type of work that I am doing. Half with people, half computer and organization type things. My supervisor is fantastic. The other staff members I work with are extraordinary. The student workers are so awesome. There are few in particular that I already really really like. And the other GA that got hired with me is just the most darling girl. Look at her. She is GORGEOUS! 

The best part of my job? Sometimes I get to make calls to International Students for various reasons. On one Friday afternoon I had to call a British student who at the end of the call told me to have a "jolly good" weekend. You can bet I did, just because I heard that in a British accent. I was giddy over it all weekend. 

After we did most of the work on my kitchen my Grandpa stayed with me to help me get the countertop and sink installed and do all of the little touch up things to finish. But on one of the Saturday's he was here we decided to go on an adventure and check out Hoover Dam. He hadn't seen the new bridge and I hadn't been inside the Dam yet. It was one of my favorite days in a long time. Multiple reasons. Traveling in the RV with my Grandpa is my happy place. It means there is an adventure ahead. It means I get to be the little girl and just watch out the windows and see what I can see. It didn't this trip but usually it means a nap on the bed while the road rocks me to sleep. I also loved this trip because one of my favorite things in the whole world is water and so just getting to see Lake Mead made me SO happy. I love that in just a short drive I can escape the crazy city of Vegas and find myself out in nature. 


Cafe Rio. Still one of my top 10 places to eat. So glad there is one right off of campus. 

Sour Patch Watermelons. JOY of my life. By far my favorite candy. Definitely nearing addiction status. 

Provo. Yes, that is a thing of note all on it's own. I love Provo. I ran up for the three day weekend in February and had a better weekend than I possibly could have asked for. That trip is journaled elsewhere but briefly it was amazing because: Aubrey, Andrea, squatting, a crumble, hair dye, Aubrey's parents, Christine, Heather Jean, Aubrey, Once Upon a Time, Target, snow, Patrick, piano, JFSB, Sean, sleepover, Aubrey, Diana, driving. And did I mention Aubrey? In short I have amazing friends, God answers prayers, and we have to learn to be patient, to trust and to move forward. 


I'm taking a gym class right now and it is kicking my butt. Hard core. Every day I leave completely beat but I love the instructor and the workouts she puts together and I love the girl that is my partner and I love that my body is slowly but surely getting to where I want to be. 

I love Mexican food. Street tacos? Yes, yes please. 



Last night I had one of those nights where I felt like I really took advantage of the fact that I live in Las Vegas. We went to First Friday (CRAZY.) where we listened to a band, watched a statue burn and walked in a bunch of art galleries. Then upon finding that I had never been, the girls took me to Fremont Street. That was an experience. Artists, contortionists, a cover band, crazy drunks, and scantily clad women dancing on bars. All underneath a GIANT screen tunnel. And we finished the night at a piano bar. So much fun. It was amazing to have Friday night plans again.




I am pretty sure I am the worst at painting my own nails of anyone ever. When I paint my toes it looks like a 7 year old did it. It is all over my feet and if I'm not careful, it's all over the floor. It's ridiculous. I'm 22. You would think I could do something like that. 

I was uncharacteristically impulsive today. First when Kate and I were shopping I ended up buying new shoes and a new dress that I had not anticipated buying. But come on. Look at these shoes. I couldn't resist! And the dress screams Rachel. I just usually am a very cautious shopper. Oh well. I have no buyer's remorse. I love all my purchases just as much, if not more now. Second, on my way to go grocery shopping this evening I randomly stopped and bought myself a gym membership. I've been using the gym at UNLV which I love but it is terribly far away and there have been evenings and weekends when I would have worked out but I've skipped it because it was too far out of the way. So I decided it was worth the money each month for the few more times a week being close will get me. I'd been thinking about it but as I was driving past tonight I literally made a last second turn into the parking lot. Decision made I guess! 



If you didn't get it by now: I'm happy. Real happy. The kind that comes from being busy doing good things and knowing they are the things you are supposed to be doing right now. 

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you are so spunky and happy and loving life. I'm a little jealous of your productivity. I am currently watching "The Mentalist." That's how much work my brain has been doing lately. You really seem to be living in the moment. Keep on enjoying! I love you and I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your life sounds so wonderful! Reading this made me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete