Sometimes my head is full of lots of things that spin round and round so fast. I write down words in my planner to help me sort out what is spinning through. This post is whatever came out - no editing. Just be glad you aren't my dad who I've been calling every night to talk through a million and a half things twice as detailed and twice as fast.
Last Friday I finally saw one of my best friends from freshman year who just got home from his mission. It was an odd feeling to see him again. I feel like I've changed so much from that time in so many ways that to have him walk into my life made it feel like things had gone back again for just a second. It also made me realize how close I am to having all of my friends home. I cannot wait to see the rest of them.
Let's talk about BYU football. Friday night against USU was an embarrassment. I watched at home first and yelled and yelled and yelled. And then I watched at the gym where I couldn't yell but my workout was fabulous due to the frustration I needed to release. So for my birthday tomorrow when we play San Diego State all I am asking for is that BYU doesn't embarrass us. They don't have to win. But if they could play football it'd be nice. I'd rather not watch us get creamed.
I have a new found obsession/love with Vitamin Water. Did you know they make it with ZERO calories. Aaaaaaah! [heavenly music - in case you couldn't hear it]. They call it... wait for it... Vitamin Water ZERO. Crazy huh? But seriously. I'm in love with it. It's yummy and it's free calories. And it's good for you. Try squeezed. You'll love it.
Um. Conference was AMAZING. I can't even begin to explain how much I love and appreciate our general authorities. A few thoughts: President Uchtdorf reminded me to slow down and proceed at the optimum speed for MY conditions & did so using a tree and an airplane. :) Elder Scott taught me that I become who I want to be by consistently being who I want to become. President Monson explained that to live with gratitude in our hearts is to touch heaven. I have important thoughts from every talk and favorite ideas from every session. Most of all, like Elder Holland, I pledge anew my determination to be better. That was so much of my thoughts during conference - that I can do better! I'm so grateful that God gives revelation today and for the witness of the Holy Ghost that confirms that what they teach is true. I'm grateful most of all for my Savior so that every day I can repent and try again to be better.
Here's a funny story about the rain though... I kinda live in a ghetto apartment in case I hadn't already made that clear. We had a flash flood go straight through our lobby during one rain storm. Because our parking lot isn't exactly flat it gets huge puddles in it. Two nights ago I was running up to take an exam and went out to my car. I cut through the bushes like I always do and found myself up to my ankles in water. It was hilarious. I laughed so hard, went and changed my shoes and then rocked my test [I think anyways - it's funny how dependent I've become on getting my score immediately after I finish.] This picture is not from that day but a different one. :)
I'm passionate about my chosen field and I'm getting excited as I'm getting closer to getting to really study in depth with it. I have a lot of things I think I can offer and a lot of things that I want to do. I'm thrilled for what I can. But before then, I have a lot to do. I'm taking the GRE again. I got my writing score back and while it was good, it wasn't solid and I really would like to have something solid to work with to apply. I also need to rework my personal statement. And then do the application. Oh wait, before you do the application you have to know where you are applying. So stick that in there. I have 5 I know for sure I will apply to and then 5 more possibilities of which I would like to narrow down to 2 so that I apply to 7 total. Does that seems excessive? It doesn't to me but sometimes I don't know anymore. Oh, and I have to apply to graduate. That's a little detail that potentially might be important.
Music is my love. I'm getting an iTunes gift card tomorrow for my birthday and I'm pretty sure that I will spend all of it in 5 minutes or less. I discover new parts of myself as I hear something new. I love that music says what I cannot. That words in my head and heart are spoken perfectly and clearly. I'm not picky... I love a little bit of everything. Current favorites: Sara Bareilles, Ingrid Michaelson, Lady Antebellum, Imogen Heap, Natasha Bedingfield, Kelly Clarkson, Regina Spektor and as always some teen pop and dance music :).
I'm so so grateful for friends. With my birthday being tomorrow I've been more homesick that usual. I miss my mom and my sister. My dad and my brothers. My nicole. And I was feeling just a little bit empty today but then after a temple trip with Kennedy, lunch with Lauren and Heather and studying with Eva I just felt much better. I got hugs. I was reminded how much I am loved and that Heavenly Father is watching over me.
Fruit tarts from Kneaders are probably the best thing that ever happened to seminar at the Stat Department. I get a leftover treat every Friday morning and lately it has been this incredible fruit tarts. I love them with all of my heart. They are pure goodness in every bite - crust, cream filling and fruit. MMM.
Tonight, I took myself to Homecoming Spectacular. I've gone every year and it seemed a shame to break such a fabulous tradition. I was not disappointed in the least. It was just a fabulous performance by all involved. I laughed, I cried. My heart sang and danced. I missed London so much while I was there. It was very much because of London that I was willing to just by myself a ticket and go to something I wanted to see and the whole night was full of bits and pieces of London: a symphony, musical theatre (including a song from Hairspray which I actually saw in London), dance. I want to go back again so badly. Actually I just want to travel so badly. Anywhere will be fine. Let's go. Please?
Other randoms: I despise laundry. Actually just folding and putting away laundry. Least favorite task. I love getting out my "sexy biker chick"[Aubrey's words] purple leather jacket again. Actually I love that I can wear my fall clothes finally. I know by January 15th I'll be sick of snow and wishing for spring but for now I'm quite happy with the cool weather. My car makes me happy. She is so little and happy and we can parallel park so fabulously. I'm going to Princeton in November. Why? Because that's where the princes are. And I sure need one. Just kidding. There is a conference I get to attend there. I'm thrilled. :) I planned out my schedule for next semester. Last one. Weird. Very weird. But so exciting.
And finally, click here. You won't regret. Promise.
Dearest Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI hope you have the bestest birthday ever. You deserve it. Also, thanks for your awesome blog, so often it has things that I needed to hear. You're the best!
Love, Sarah
Happy Happy Birthday to you! I hope it's a wonderful beautiful day inside and out :)
ReplyDeleteLove the link, totally made me smile!
Happy Happy Birthday, Rachel dear
ReplyDeleteHappy days will come to you all year
If I had a wish than it would be
A happy freakin' birthday to you
From me!