Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Adventure Begins!!!!

Let me just say first and foremost that London is G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S.  It is SO green and there are SO many trees.  I am in love with it. It also is definitely spring here, whereas Provo was still dead when I left so I am just in bliss. Green is such a happy color to me.  
So our adventure began in Salt Lake City.  Jord and I checked in (my ticket was being weird... almost scary. I gave Mom hugs and Jord said her goodbye.  Oh how I hurt for her... 2 months away from her fiance. Ouch.  How sad her heart must be.  And then we were off.  We went through security and then just sat waiting for our plane. I had the best of intentions to stay awake for this flight to help myself get more tired for our later flight but that didn't really work out.  I definitely crashed out. I woke up and listened to music and played trivia with Jord.  We spent FOREVER waiting on the runway and then were in JFK. We had a couple hour layover so we walked, ate dinner at Chili's, and then shuttled over to our plane. Jord and I totally scored with Exit Row Seats so we had tons of space which was glorious. I wanted to fall asleep so badly but we got stuck on the runway again.  Gah. So I was almost out and then takeoff and then tried to fall asleep again. It was an okay night but it was FREEZING cold. So so cold.  So even though I was decently comfortable, I just had a hard time sleeping because I was so cold. We woke up to a hot croissant for breakfast and morning sunshine. Then the descent into Heathrow!!! Oh my gosh seeing England just made me so so happy!!!!  I am so excited for this trip.  For all I can learn and gain and change and do.  
We were supposed to have a simple and easy time getting out of the airport... we had reserved a shuttle for 10 of us, someone was going to meet us with a name card and that was it.  However, we didn't realize that the airlines came into different terminals and we were not where the shuttle was coming.  So we took a train over but then unfortunately the shuttle guy was not there.  We didn't really know what all to do so Jord and I started wandering, tried talking to information.  We were freaking out plus we were on weird time so brains weren't really functioning.  Finally as were walking making one last look for the shuttle Jord said that we should probably pray right about now.  So we said silent prayers in our heads and hearts but nothing.  We were walking back to the group who to our JOY had been found by the shuttle driver!!!! Of course prayer would bring us our answer.  Duh. We drove to the center, I tried as hard as I could to just soak it all in.  Amazing. 
We were oriented and given room assignments (and were informed there is no hot water.  No hot water in a house with 40 girls.  Ha. I'm not looking forward to my shower in the morning.) Then Jord and me and 4 other girls went on our first London walk.  We went all around the neighborhood.  I think I could spend my entire two months right in this neighborhood and never get bored. Mmm.  It is just BEAUTIFUL.  And so much diversity... I love watching people!  We got our tube passes.  The guy was really funny helping us.  And I love the accent.  Especially from children.  :) .  Then home for dinner and then Jord had the great idea to spend our evening actually doing something.  So we hopped on the tube for the first time and went to Buckingham Palace.  Yes the actual palace!  I always dreamed of palaces when I was little and now I got to see one for real!!!! We walked for a long ways more seeing a bunch of really fun things and ended up at Big Ben.  What a wonderful way to start our trip with just a taste of everything. I am almost overwhelmed.  The realization that I am actually here with so many cool opportunities just makes me SO excited.  There is so much that I want to do and see here.  I think most of all I want to use this chance to help me learn more about myself and the things that I value and my goals in life. I really think I can learn a lot. 
We stopped at Boot's for hair supplies and now are home for the night.  That's right home.  27 Palace Court is my home until June 15. I am so grateful and excited for this opportunity.  Now to bed.  I need sleep if I am going to be cheerful on this adventure. 

3 comments:

  1. Girl! This is so exciting for you to be there! I will be in Paris in July...I don't know if you will still be in London but if you will, I was planning on meeting up with the BYU students there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!!! I am super excited reading about all your adventures! Thanks for taking time to blog about it... I know that will take a huge effort, but it's awesome reading!

    Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could go too, hope you have fun and take LOTS of pictures. ;)

    ReplyDelete