Thursday, April 30, 2009

Westminster Abbey and Walking

Just in case you didn't already know, today is the LAST day of April.  The LAST day of April.  That is INSANE. I cannot believe how fast time goes.  I remember starting last May, working every day 8-5 (so long, not doing that again.) London was in my distant dreams.  I didn't even know a lot of the people that are important to me now last May. Wow.  Everything goes so fast. 

So today was once again a cold shower day. Seriously I think I am going to leave this trip with a new appreciation for things that I once considered basics of life.  I took so many things for granted before now... like hot water. Or my cell phone, or quality internet.  I just kinda assumed that those things were a part of life.  No questions asked.  But in reality.  They aren't.  They are extras.  Things that I am learning that I need to be grateful for. However, on a happy note, we MIGHT have hot water tomorrow.  The plumbers have been working SO hard.  It really has been a huge job.  Our old water heater was seriously Victorian. It was so old. But if all goes well I'll have a hot shower for the weekend. 

Breakfast and then we were out the door.  Today was a full full day and mostly a day full of walking.  We started out by taking a bus past Parliament over to by where the London aquarium is and started a walk. This is a view from on the bus of three of the landmarks of London... the London Eye, Big Ben and Westminster Abbey.


The funniest thing happened on the bridge on the way over.  I was reading some information from our London Walks book.  It is full of little fun tidbits and important background and so we read it as we walk. I was reading outloud for the girls and this British man walked past and then turned around and said that he liked my accent.  A British man like my accent!!  That's a first. It basically made my day. 


We stopped partway through our walk for our group Westminster Abbey visit.  Westminster Abbey was everything that I expected and much much more.  Walking inside we got an audio tour and started.  Just as we were beginning we were interrupted by the priest because at every hour they pause for one minute of prayer.  It was really cool because he prayed for the youth of the world as we walked in. Which was really humbling.  The feeling inside the Abbey was something special.  It wasn't like when I feel the spirit, like at church or at the temple but it wasn't an everyday street feeling either.  It was like you could really tell that these were good people trying to worship god in the best way that they knew how.  I was really impressed by that.  I think sometimes I don't take the time to understand and appreciate other religions nearly enough.  So I was really glad for the chance that we had to visit.  The Abbey itself and all of the things inside of it were just amazing.  So many kings and queens and other important people are buried or memorialized there.  Plus so many people that I don't know anything about.  It was amazing to see all the work that was put into it.  I loved it. Every second of it.  

After the Abbey we went to find somewhere to eat for lunch.  We had seen a pub on the way that we wanted to try but when we got in we found out that you had to be 18 to sit there and not all of the girls had id.  So we kept looking and ended up at Pizza Hut.  Yes, I ate at Pizza Hut.  I know, kinda lame, but it totally hit the spot, and in some ways it was actually really good culturally because I could really compare it. It was definitely different.  

Then we finished the Westminster Walk. Here are pictures of us reading from our guide book and of me standing on the bridge in front of Parliament.




We also went and finished the Seats of Power walk that we had started earlier and walked past some of the important castles and things along the Mall. I am discovering that this city is really not that big.  Like you can see Big Ben from Trafalgar Square and you can see Trafalgar Square from Picadilly Circus which is part of the Theatre District.  I thought it was huge and way spread out.  But really a lot of things are connected. 

Then home for dinner and reading and talking to daddy (!) and then we went out and did one more walk.  Three in one day.  I really enjoy the walks for all of the cool things we get to see and all of the cool information that comes with them.  We went to Little Venice tonight.  It was so pretty.  London was connected with canals during the Industrial Revolution before major roadways etc. and so little venice is built around one of those canals. We also saw a beautiful old church. And some creepies were following us. We get so  many honks and catcalls. Today as we were walking across the bridge we had two trucks honk. One of them the guy leaned out and made faces at us all the way down the street. I don't know if we have a sign that says American on us or if they are just like that all the time when they see girls but it's been interesting.  Dad said they can probably pick us out because we smile. Which is somewhat true, everyone here is so serious all the time.  This picture is on a bridge over the canal in little venice.  It had a cute little fence so it basically looks like I have horns. Really cute. 


Then home again and now to bed! I love London!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Rachel... I am loving London too!
    Thanks for the walks today!

    Stuck in the States... Beth

    ReplyDelete