I guess that I should've known that our beautiful sunny days wouldn't last! Welcome to London! Today it rained all day long!
We woke up to breakfast and then had our first class which was London Walks... yes I get credit for walking around London!!! Love it. Right after class was done we were off for a walk! We started with Chelsea... walk of the stars. We started in the tube... we are getting pretty good at using the tube now!
Here are pictures of us on our cold, wet walk. Brr. Seriously. I didn't realize that it was going to be so cold when it rained. But rest assured Mom... I wore my good shoes, my new raincoat works fabulously and is SO cute, and my umbrella did not blow out. Hooray!!! So it was super happy.

We saw some pretty cool places like this one for example, which is the fictional address of James Bond. Sweet!
We also saw things like the church where King Henry VIII may have secretly married his third wife Jane Seymour, who followed Anne Boleyn and the house where the author of Dracula lived. We ate lunch at a cute little shop on the side of the road. And almost got in trouble. Apparently one of our 5 pound notes was old and no longer acceptable. Oops. We finished our walk on a bus. :) Then home to the center really really quick for changing shoes and/or pants and then back out. This afternoon we went to the VNA (Victoria and Albert Museum). It was HUGE. Except supposedly it is actually a smaller museum. Ah. There was so much to see. We will definitely be going back again soon. I love that almost all of the museums and galleries are free here! Free is my favorite. Home again for Evensong and Dinner and then we decided to go out and see Stomp. It was SO Amazing. Stomp is basically a percussion show performed on trash. So cool. I was mesmerized. I just loved listening to all the different beats and sounds. They created so many different sounds and moods and feelings just with trash. Crazy crazy cool. I loved loved it.
I got to talk to Mom and Meg after I got home... yay for technology. And now off to bed. I am so tired.
Although a couple more thoughts really quick...
Jet Lag is not working out so well to me. I am hungry at the wrong times... eating when my body wants to be sleeping, sleeping when I want to be eating. I crash into bed but am still tired all day. Ah. I need to get adjusted to this. Also I have been so dizzy, like I am rocking on a boat... probably a combination of super long plane flight and riding the tube but it is driving me crazy.
I think I kinda forgot that London people were real people with real lives. Today we saw a funeral. And it kinda made me realize that I am in a real place. I guess I had this nostalgic view of it. I'm excited to just be here. I want to learn so much here.
It will be really interesting to see the dynamics of 40 girls play out over the next two months. That's all I have to say about that.
And now to bed for real... or I'll never get over jet lag!
P.S. You can see more pictures here!
Hey Rach!!!
ReplyDeleteI see you are having an awesome time in London! I'm so glad you get to see it in the springtime when all the trees and flowers are in bloom and it's not constantly dreary! :) It seems like you are already pretty familiar with some parts of London, like the Tube. (Public transportation was actually one of my favorite aspects of London...ha ha!)
Sorry it has taken me so long to get to you about what to do and see in London. I've been trying to think about some things but honestly I think that a lot of the really cool things and experiences I had were pretty unique. I think you will begin to understand that the longer you are there. Obviously there are all the great museums, art galleries, theatres, etc. but there's only so much of those sort of cultural things one can take in before going on overload. By the end of my trip through Europe, I had to force myself to keep going to museums and the like...I had a hard time even going to the Louvre!!! [Which sounds really bad and pretty pathetic, I know, but you'll understand in about a month.:)] In two months time, you will make it to all the essential cultural places you need to see...things I probably don't need to tell you about. But my advice would be to not get caught up too much in making yourself be "productive" (culturally) every single day, but really just take your time to notice the little things and be spontaneous with your adventures.
On that note, will you be traveling to other places while you are over there?
Um...yeah. I miss you! Are you coming home for the summer? We should definitely get together. My life is pretty crazy right now, but who doesn't have a crazy life right?
Anyway, I hope you are having an awesome time and I am excited to read more about your adventures!
Love,
Gabby
Oh wow rachel it looks like you are having so much fun and I am so jealous of you right now....you have no idea. you are pretty much living my life.
ReplyDeletebut i know you are having the time of your life and meeting lots of cute english accent men (the accent makes them cute right?) and seeing so many things that i know you have been just been dreaming to see since you were like 8.
keep up the good work on posting all this awesome stuff and hopefully you get feeling better, if i were you, i would have already thrown up all over everyone around me (yep lots of fun). but do lots of fun stuff for me!
i love you so much girl!! and when you get home we are having a HUGE girls nights...promise?