Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tuesday in London!

So I just realized that at some point I am going to have to start naming my blogs something besides ____day  in London.  Oh well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. :)

Today began with another FREEZING FREEZING cold shower.  Gah.  I am praying for the plumber.  I really am learning to appreciate things on this trip... things that I used to take for granted... one of those being hot water. 

Then we had our first real class... and I was so sleepy. Shoot. I felt really really bad, totally drifting through the whole first half.  Jet lag and I are just not catching up to each other very well.  And my 9:00 in the morning class felt like 2:00 in the morning.  Gah. Lame. Oh well, Sister Crissler said 3 more days and we should be back to normal.  Ha. If I was ever "normal" to begin with. I am going to have to do so much reading for this class. Ah. I kinda forgot that I was here to be a student.  :( lalala . Ahh well I'll get my head in the game soon enough. 

Then we were off!  We decided to take the buses first today.  That was an adventure.  I really really loved the bus.  It took a lot longer than the tube would have but it was so worth it. I really prefer being able to see the city to riding underground. Although riding on the bus was a little bit freaky because it looked like we were eating buses and we ended up stopping like on top of the bus in front of us.  Crazy! 

Our first stop was Sherlock Holmes house.  It could've been cool BUT it cost 6 pounds to get in so we ditched that idea. So then we wandered around for a bit and then moved on.  

We decided to go to the Cabinet War Rooms and the Imperial War Museum.  They were SO SO SO cool.  We went to the Cabinet War Rooms first, although it took forever for us to find the entrance.  Ha. Don't worry... we are not Americans. It was amazing.  It is where Winston Churchill and his advisors did all the planning for World War II and they have been kept exactly as they were.  After the war they just shut it up and then when it was opened up they left everything intact. Like one man had his sugar rations stored in an envelope in his desk and they found them still there years later.  And it was an audio tour. I really really enjoyed it A LOT. Then we went to the Imperial War Museum.  To get there we crossed the Thames for the first time!  The Museum was AMAZING.  I will definitely have to go back for sure.  I did not get enough time there at all.  We went and walked through the Holocaust floor.  It was really interesting to hear the Holocaust from the perspective of the British.  Obviously it was mostly the same but there were little differences that were kinda interesting.  There was so much more that I want to see there though... planes and bombs and crimes against humanity. We'll go back. 

Then we had to find the nearest tube stop which took a little bit plus we were across the Thames so it was going to take us a while to get home.  But we have to be back every afternoon for Evensong and Dinner.  And we were totally going to make... until we missed our train.  Sam got on but someone stepped in front of Jord and me and we didn't make it!  And the three minutes we had to wait for the next train were too many. Gah. So we sprinted from Queensway home.  

Then dinner... they feed us so so well.  Yum. Taco casserole thing. Sweet.  Then randomness (changing shoes to help blister) real quick and off again.  We are seriously always going.  Which honestly, I love.  I am so happy to just experience everything possible. 

We went to the theatre district, this time for a play.  We stopped first for a treat though!  Yay!  We picked a brownie cake thing with ice cream at Garfunkles.  I think people think we are weird when we share desserts here. Hmm.  Ah well.  Then off to the theatre.  As a group we all saw "A View from the Bridge."  It was written by Arthur Miller (who also wrote the Crucible and Death of a Salesman).  Let's just say it was... Interesting. Different than what I would normally be exposed to... so I appreciate it. Yes. 

Then we scooted on home and headed down to the servery for a treat and blogging.  But there was a mouse in the trap.  Squealing. So we of course did the perfectly normal and rational thing and jumped on the chairs screaming.  No one was home to help us so we finally had to make a break for it and told the directors when they got home. Gross.  I just don't do mice very well. They are gross and small and just make me squirm. Bleck.  

Now we are midnight snacking and headed for sleep!  

No comments:

Post a Comment