Friday, April 9, 2010

Happy Thoughts

Warning: This ended up being kinda long. The important part is the link and the list. Sorry... I have a tendency to be long-winded (or long-written I guess).

Heather sent me this link the other day. You should go look at it. It will make you smile. Guaranteed. There is so much joy to be found in the simple pleasures of life.

Current Simple Pleasures:

sleeping under a pile of blankets
waking up before the alarm and getting to roll back over
my new foundation and brush
red ballet flats
listening to music on the way to school
the smell of a crisp spring morning
sunshine
people who say good morning
people who give compliments
people who say thank you
hand sanitizer
a fixed office phone
pandora
text messages just to say hi or have a good day
a new waterbottle
sticky notes
my cell phone
people who smile at me
seeing happy couples
a new dishwasher
blogs
pictures
sunshine
wedding planning
clean socks
naproxen
the temple
my tennis shoes
swings
grass
sunshine
hot showers
blasting music while cleaning
a good hair day
a cute new shirt
good conversation
new music
worms
my friends
fridays


Also, a happy thought, and one that deserves a lot of gratitude is that my life is falling into place. I am so excited. I've been so stressed about decisions needing to be made in the next few weeks and where those would put me for the next year. First I needed to figure out my summer but I hadn't heard from EFY. What should I do? Buy housing and use Provo as a base? Give up on EFY and try to find a Spring/Summer Internship or Research Job? I didn't know. I was praying like crazy but not getting anywhere. Finally I decided that I would move home for the summer. If I got EFY weeks I could travel from there but if I didn't I would be able to spend time with family, etc. Once I made that decision it was like a huge burden was taken off my back. I was so happy about that decision - I knew it was the right thing. I still wasn't sure what the rest of things were going to hold though. I really needed someway to earn money but my class schedule wasn't looking to be conducive to keep working for the Department. I needed to get some good experiences under my belt before I apply for grad school. Since I didn't think I could work I was hoping to find a paid internship in the fall but that was looking less and less likely. Yesterday everything just fell into my lap. First Ruth let me know that I will be able to work Spring, go home Summer AND come back in the Fall. I was hopeful for Spring but I really didn't think there was anyway I could work Fall. I was so glad. I've worked here since my first week at BYU and I honestly couldn't imagine college without it. Then I got an email from EFY saying hiring is delayed and we need to be patient. I'm so glad I decided to go home. If I get weeks it will work out just great but if not, I won't be any worse off for it. Then as I realized that I wouldn't need to worry about money I realized I didn't need to worry about getting a paid internship, just about getting experience. Then Dr. Coyne, one of my favorite professors told me that she'll be doing research in the fall and that I can get my capstone credit (same as the internship) by helping. Perfect, perfect. And then as I was thinking about what else I could be doing I realized that my Dad works at a hospital and there are probably medical social workers there that he knows. I called him and this summer while I am home I can spend time shadowing/volunteering with them so I can get some experience with that aspect since I'm interested in Medical Family Therapy.

Now. That was a huge paragraph and I don't know if it was coherent. Let me summarize. Spring I will be here taking classes and I get to keep my job with the Department. Summer I am going home, hopefully I'll be an EFY counselor for a few weeks, I'll spend a week with Grandpa helping him with the pictures and formatting for his and Grandma's life story, I'll drive down for a wedding, I'll hang out with Luke for a week when the rest of the family is on trek, I'll spend time at the hospital, We'll vacation at Lake Powell (!). Oh and at some point in there I will take the GRE. [insert wrinkled nose] And then in the Fall I'll come back, take classes, do research with Dr. Coyne, work in the department and apply for grad school.

Can you believe that? I have been talking with God on a daily basis about what is going on in my future and he kept telling me to be patient, to take it one step at a time and that it would all work out. And look - it is! I am so grateful for His hand in my life. Seriously I couldn't ask for anything else. Okay, well I still would love to know if and when a b-o-y will fit into there but I'll be patient. If the rest of this is any indication - it will be better in the end than I had planned it to be. In the mean time, I'll just keep smiling and being my cute self. :)

Well, those are my simple pleasures and happy thoughts. What are yours?

P.S. Two more happy thoughts:
Today is my half-birthday.
This is my 150th post.

1 comment:

  1. happy half birthday!

    "but I'll be patient. If the rest of this is any indication - it will be better in the end than I had planned it to be. In the mean time, I'll just keep smiling and being my cute self"

    This was the quote I needed to hear tonight. Thanks for bringing light into my life!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete